State, Federal Officilas Announce New Projects within Millennium
Reserve: Calumet Regioin of Chicago.
"One of the major goals of President Obama's America's
Outdoors Initiative is to work with states, local communitieis and
other partners to establish a network of great urban parks that will
help expand outdoor opportunities in and around citieis, " Salazar
said. 'Today we are helping to acheive this goal right in the heart of
Chicago, restoring native habitat while also cewating new
opportunities for millions of Americans to enjoy the great outdoors.
The 12 current projects are..
• Burnham Wildlife Corridor, Chicago Park District.
• Calumet Invasive Species Conservation Corps, Friends of the Forest Preserves.
• Calumet Water Trails Brochure, Open lands.
• Greencorps Chicago, City of Chicago.
• Midlothian Creek Green Infrastructure Plan, Chicago Wilderness and partners (see website).
• Mighty Acorns Program: Calumet Partnership, The Field Museum.
• Millennium Reserve Roots, IDNR and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Neighborhood native plant habitat installations which promote ecological connectivity with existing natural areas.
• Northerly Island Restoration, US Army Corps of Engineers. Restoration of 40 acres of upland and lowland habitat.
• Off the Beaten Path Eco-Tours, Southeast Environmental Task Force.
• River Volunteer Stewardship Program: Kickapoo Woods Demonstration Site, Friends of the Chicago River.
For more information on the Millennium Reserve: Calumet Core initiative please visit